Walking your dog during the autumn, for me personally, is one of the best times of year!! I love the changing colours of the leaves and shrubbery, of course against the backdrop of the great British countryside.
Once the cooler months bring piles of fallen leaves to the ground, problems, and hidden problems can be there! There are many things that could be hiding poisonous leaves and plants from your site, and unfortunately, your curious dog wont have the knowledge that you may have.
Before you grab your lead and walking boots, make sure you are aware of the plants to watch out for.
The PDSA is urging dog owners to take extra precautions when outside with their pups. “Our four-legged friends are naturally very inquisitive and will often want to sniff out new smells and objects,” Olivia Anderson-Nathan at PDSA said
“Knowing what to keep your pet away from can help keep them safe – and prevent any impromptu visits to the vets if they eat something that could be toxic.”5 autumn plants which could be poisonous to dogs
1. Acorns and conkers
If eaten in large quantities by pups, they can be extremely toxic. Their tannic acid affects the liver and kidneys. Make sure you keep an eye out for acorns and conkers hiding under piles of leaves on the ground. Unripe green acorns are also some of the most harmful.
2. Yew Trees
The needles and seeds of yew trees are extremely poisonous to many animals, including dogs, horses and sheep. Eating just the leaves can result in dangerous consequences, even leading to death in severe cases. Their leaves are distinctive, meaning they are easily identifiable.
3. Horse chestnut trees
Another poisonous tree to keep an eye open for are horse chestnut trees. The toxic element of the horse chestnut tree is a neurotoxic glycoside called aesculin, which can cause gastrointestinal distress, disorientation, spasms and even death.
4. Autumn Crocuses
This autumn-blooming flower might be outwardly beautiful, but it can be toxic to animals who get too close. They can cause drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea.
These bulbs are toxic to both cats and dogs as they contain cyanide, so try to keep your pets away from these.
“When out walking this autumn, it’s crucial to be aware of any dangerous plants and trees that might cause harm to your pet. Keep a close eye on them, and try to walk your pooch somewhere you know is clear of toxic plants,” Olivia continues.